Sunday, January 19, 2014

Shopping in Style:

I always thought Americans loved their shopping, but the Chinese put us to shame.  Seriously!  This city has so many department stores, and while I think this is more upscale, it is not the top-of-the-line, I won't even go into that store.  This store is called Jiu Guang and is located in an Eastern suburb of Suzhou called SIP (Suzhou Industrial Park); I think everyone calls it SIP because it sounds better than mentioning 'industrial' while talking about where one lives.







P.S.  I just drink coffee and eat here. I can't afford the clothes.  Coffee is $5-6 USD, a baked good is about $1 (basically the same), interestingly, a nice meal costs about $6 USD.  But a nice Ralph Lauren shirt runs about $300 USD.  Too much for my budget.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, found your blog from your other blog (RH house).
    I enjoy reading your adventures in China. Good for you being able to travel around. Coffee and other import products are expensive but domestic products are still cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are only half correct. Rice, vegetables, basic food can be very affordable, but many Chinese items are too expensive-especially for most Chinese people to afford. Also, there are so many foodstuffs that are of horrible quality that most of my Chinese friends won't even touch them, they buy trusted (more expensive) products. And the world over knows about the ridiculous real estate prices in China that are literally more expensive than what most Americans pay (and we make a lot more money so it is even less affordable for Chinese citizens, it should be a crime.).

      Delete